Oxford Violin School was set up in North Oxford by violinist and educator Jacqui Miles.
Violin students of all levels and abilities are welcome, presently ranged in age from just five to 88! Teaching methods aim to inspire and enthuse and to encourage all ages to enjoy a love of music and playing. OVS brings together influences as diverse as Suzuki, Rolland, Sheila Nelson and Simon Fischer in an approach that is appropriate to each student. Preparation for music exams, scholarships, auditions and local music festivals can be important for many students (and parents) and for others, playing may be just for fun.
Individual lessons are offered by OVS on violin from age five (of school age) to adult. Group and shared lessons occasionally run, depending on demand and Covid restrictions. Opportunities to take part in “studio classes” , workshops, aural and theory classes and ensembles are offered and all children are encouraged to take part in the OVS end of term concerts in December and July.
Adult lessons are proving extremely popular, from complete beginners to those who have not played since they were children. Playing a musical instrument is a great way to keep your mind and brain active whilst maintaining flexibility in hands and joints and opens up opportunities to join orchestras and ensembles.
Jacqui also teaches many students (undergraduate and post graduate ) from the Music Colleges in London and at universities, incorporating the coaching operatic and symphonic repertoire, her particular area of experience. More mature adult students have included those who chose to go into widely varied professions such as doctors, consultants, architects, university lecturers, lawyers etc. but who are still dedicated to developing their musical skills and techniques in order to pursue active interests in chamber music or orchestral playing alongside their chosen careers.
- Jacqui uses a variety of resources in her teaching to inspire and motivate students. A plethora of YouTube videos and recordings, both her own and those by other players and teachers are readily available, covering instrumental skills and techniques, practice methods and examples of differing interpretations and approaches to pieces. Phone and tablet apps can be used for accompaniments, theory and aural training and practice aids, to mention just a few possibilities.
Recent successes 2020-2021 for OVS students of Jacqui Miles
- Awarded a places at Royal College of Music, Junior Department
- Music Scholarships and Music Exhibitions to Oxford High School
- Leaders and members of National Children’s Orchestra of Great Britain and National Schools Symphony Orchestra
- Leaders and members of all Oxfordshire County Youth Orchestras and Ensembles and Oxy-Baroxy.
- Members of chamber music courses in Oxford and Pro Corda
- First prizes at Oxford and Abingdon Music Festivals
- Distinction awards in ABRSM and Trinity exams
- Diploma exams attained
Jacqui holds a current enhanced DBS certificate.
Be part of OVS and discover how music and playing an instrument can enhance your life!