Oxford Violin School was set up in North Oxford by violinist and educator, Jacqui Miles.
Violin students of all levels and abilities are welcome, presently ranged in age from just four to 88! Teaching methods aim to inspire and enthuse and to encourage all ages to enjoy a love of music and playing. OVS brings together influences as diverse as Suzuki, Rolland, Sheila Nelson and Simon Fischer in an approach that is appropriate to each student. Preparation for music exams, scholarships, auditions and local music festivals can be important for many students (and parents) and for others, playing may be just for fun.
Individual lessons are offered by OVS on violin from age five (of school age) to adult. Group and shared lessons occasionally run, depending on demand. Opportunities to take part in “studio classes” , workshops, aural classes ensembles are offered and all children are encouraged to take part in the OVS end of term concerts in December and July.
Adult lessons are proving extremely popular, from complete beginners to those who have not played since they were children. Playing a musical instrument is a great way to keep your mind and brain active whilst maintaining flexibility in hands and joints and opens up opportunities to join orchestras and ensembles.
- Jacqui uses a variety of resources in her teaching to inspire and motivate students. A plethora of YouTube videos and recordings are easily available covering instrumental skills and techniques, practice methods and examples of differing interpretations and approaches to pieces and iPad apps can be used for accompaniments, theory and aural training and practice aids, to mention just a few possibilities.
Recent successes 2019 for OVS students of Jacqui Miles
- Music Scholarship and Music Exhibition to Oxford High School
- Place in National Children’s Orchestra of Great Britain
- Places in Oxfordshire County Youth Orchestras, including as “Leader”
- First prizes at Oxford and Abingdon Music Festivals
- Distinction awards in ABRSM and Trinity exams
Jacqui holds a current enhanced DBS certificate.
Be part of OVS and discover how music and playing an instrument can enhance your life!